Monday, May 29, 2006

The Beauty of the Eucharist

Yesterday was my brother's first reception of Holy Communion. He and one of his friends, a girl, received during our 9 am Mass. White ribbons marked the front pews where they sat with their families and Godparents. A special announcement was made for them, names and all, at the beginning of the homily. The entire church applauded them after our priest extended a 'Congratulations' to them on the sacrament. Everyone took pictures and hugged and smiled and we all went home to cake and food.

What struck me the most was how radiant these kids were -- and not for any of the aforementioned things! Both Joseph and the other munchkin were so very excited to be receiving CHRIST for the first time. Neither one of them could wipe the smile from their face - and who would want them to?

Last week my brother ran up to the loft after Mass and said, "Laura! This was my last Mass to not get Jesus!" I smiled. He was so very excited to come back the next week (since he goes to school elsewhere) and receive Christ. He was a little nervous but mostly he was excited.

I choked back tears several times yesterday. The image of their truly radiant faces are etched in my mind. How appreciative they were of this sacrament! They saw so much in it that we sometimes don't see! How I prayed that I might always receive with that same joy!

+Lord, help me to see you as a child does, purely and joyfully!

Goodness... they were so radiant.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie D. said...

Congratulations to your brother! :-)

5/30/2006 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Daughter of St. John said...

YAY! What joyous news!

And as promised, a new post is up...

5/31/2006 11:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home