Monday, May 22, 2006

Soak Up the Son

During the homily on Sunday I found myself wandering downstairs. I ended up planting myself in the very back of the sanctuary - very near the doors so that I could race back up to the loft when it was time. I found, though, that my escape plan had not been as successful as I had hoped.

The decision to move downstairs was made shortly after the homily began. As it is most Sundays, when the homily began, the instrumentalists sat down (a couple directly behind me) and other members rearranged so that they might sit by their friends. Then, after all were settled, the chatter began. About what? Anything. Anything and everything. The homily was nearly drowned out in the loft by the sounds of rustling papers, crying babies, and most obviously, chatter.

In an attempt to rid myself of all unnecessary distraction, I moved downstairs. My first thought was to stand in the vestibule. There are speakers there in the ceiling so I would be able to hear and I wouldn't be a distraction to others. Very little time went by, however, before I decided that it would be best for me to simply enter the sanctuary. Though there was only one child in the vestibule, adults were talking near the gift shop and others were coming in and out of restrooms. Too much noise - too much distraction.

As I entered the sanctuary I felt relieved. I knew I would be able to more fully immerse myself in the Gospel now without distraction. I couldn't have been more wrong. The back of the church is of course the baby section and as such, is probably the most noisy section. Babies were whining, talking, crying. Parents were talking to their children, reading them books, shushing them. A little girl ran down the aisle. Dad swooped in behind her just before she got to the fifth pew. Another little girl threw her goldfish into the pew behind her. An usher, pushing her stroller, passed in front of me.

Why was this happening?!

I couldn't believe I could not find a single place to stand where there were not such annoyances. I went from gabby adults to whining children. Worst of all, I couldn't make my way to the front of the church. I didn't have the time and I couldn't become one of those distractions.

Then it hit me: This is life.

There is not a single moment, not a single place in life when there are no distractions. Our desire must be to focus on Christ and our actions must work in a positive way to make our desire a reality. Knowing that Christ is and should be the very core of our being, of our lives, of our complete and total existence, we must make the commitment to keep our eyes fixed on Him in all that we do, despite distraction. We can run from one distraction but we cannot hide from all. At some point we must stop and realize that if we allow Him, He will help us to make Him our first priority and main focus. At that same time we must also take the necessary steps to let it happen. We must give up all control and in complete humility ask Him to hold us close to His Sacred Heart. We can't do this only once, however. We must give up our pride and ask this of Him each and every day - in each hour, minute, and second of our life.

+Lord, help me to always keep my gaze on You and You alone. Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie D. said...

Bravo! Excellent post and so true... though I think if it were me I'd discreetly ask Mr. Lindner to request that the choir not talk during the homily. (But you know what I'm like...)

5/23/2006 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Daughter of St. John said...

You are growing in wisdom my dear. Keep your heart and soul open. It is beautiful to see you grow...

5/24/2006 05:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home