Monday, February 19, 2007

Who are you anyway?

I received an email recently from a fellow blogger curious about who I was. She knew bits and pieces but nothing substantial. I guess that's because aside from a few minor life updates, I've never really said a lot about who I am. I've always figured those that want to know will ask and those who don't won't have to filter their reading. However, I think it may be time to just throw out a little about this author. I've been getting quite a few new visitors each week (it's all relative, really) and it seems like a good time to do this. We'll start with something easy and fun... quiz results!



You Are Red Orange



You are a very genuine person, although it takes a while for you to show the true you.

A bit introverted, you desire respect and affection from those close to you.

You are quite empathetic, and you have a true concern for the well being of others.

Many people have warm, heartfelt memories of you - even if you don't remember them well.


Okay... now for the details:
My name is Laura and I'm 20 yrs old. I live in the heart of Texas -- which any Texan will tell you is the best country in the world -- in my parents' home with my two younger siblings. I'm not currently enrolled in school though I do plan on going back in the fall. I'll continue to pursue my degree in nursing and will (hopefully) one day end up at either Baylor or TWU (Texas Woman's University).

I work full time at a hotel not too far from my home and though I often complain, it's been a blessing. I've learned a great deal about patience and humility while working at the front desk.. and now I can do six things at once! That's right.. SIX. (I know, I've got mad skills.)

I'm a member of a local apostolate called Remnant Catholic Apostolate. The group has been together for about a year now and is the creation of Matt Gill and his wife Angela. Of course they had lots of outside support but it was their vision that was the very beginnings of our group. I've posted a few times about the group and some of our activities and programs but for more info see this site. The apostolate is doing very well and has been booked, if I remember correctly, all the way through the end of April. (Yes, God has truly blessed us!) I look forward to my future with this group. They are amazing.

At my parish I'm working with the St. Frances de Sales choir and the Cantors Guild. Both ministries have been a great blessing to me. Not only do I LOVE the people I work with, I love music. Our practices are always fun and I always crack up at least once. On Sundays I sing at least twice, once in the morning and once in the evening at the youth Mass.

Once a month I join with a few other ladies from the parish for a book club. I love books and I love sharing time with beautiful Catholic women -- which is why this is perfect for me. Most of the ladies there are older than me but I learn so much from them.

Most of my friends my age don't live anywhere near me which if often times a problem. 'Easily cured' say some but to me, it's difficult. I don't relate well to a lot of people my age. I tend to find good company in people 'more experienced' than myself and find them to be more genuine. They don't stay out until six in the morning and they don't get so smashed they can't walk straight. This is not to say I think all young people are this way, just that most of the ones I know are. And that's not to say that I would object staying out until the early morning with someone whose company I truly enjoy.. just not on a weeknight. You see... I have the attitude of a 35 yr old woman with children. (Sometimes this is good, sometimes it is not.)

One of my absolute favorite things to is sing though I'm not very good at it. I've taken voice lessons for a number of years and have seen improvement but I'm still waiting for my voice to really take off. It may never happen but from what I'm told, your voice continues to mature into your late twenties. In other words: I have some time. It's not only choral music that I enjoy, either. I do love it very much but I also love rock. Growing up my dad used to play his CDs for us all the time and so I grew up with music from Journey, Dave Matthews Band, Kansas, Chicago, the Eagles, and the like. I still love them today.

My first cassette tape was Phil Collins and my favorite song was "Another Day in Paradise". Some people feel sorry for me when I tell them that... I still like it. It may be a sentimental thing now, though.

I'm not really sure how well I'm doing at this. I'm not used to telling people about me and my life....

I give out directions all day long at work (from other states even) but can't seem to go outside of Dallas without getting lost. Every time I'm in my car I fear for my life - at times to the point that I decide to take up bike-riding again instead. Obviously I haven't done that or I would be thin again... but whatever. My friends from the other side of the Metroplex give me a hard time about it every time they see me and laugh when they spot me pulled over in a parking lot carefully studying my map and directions. At least I can read a map, right? (I also know at almost all times if I'm headed North, South, East or West.)

I like to think I'm pretty crafty but most of my projects are total flops. I enjoy making cards for people I care about anyway. It's not always the cheapest thing but it's the most fun for me and I get to put all of my love into it. I also like to build things - which may have come from my father. He's a carpenter and though he sometimes does not take pride in what he does, I do. I love that he can build me anything and will let me help. He takes time to show me how to do things and I love that. I love working with power tools (however clumsily) and to that end, I guess I'm a bit of a tomboy.

I like putting on my make-up and doing my hair, slipping into my favorite outfit and enjoying a night on the town with the girls. I love my friends very much and I never grow tired of their company. Most of my friends could be professional comedians so it's not surprising that we always have a good time.

I see God in everything and get great pleasure out of the small treasures in life. I stare in awe at water, both falling from the sky and gently rolling in the lakes. My favorite flower is the daisy and I pretty much freak out when I receive them from someone I love. I love raking the leaves in our backyard and gardening with my family. We have a birdbath in the backyard that we plant flowers around every spring and it's becoming one of my favorite things about our yard.

I've done only a little bit of traveling but hope to do lots more in my adult years. To date, the only time I've left the country for any real length of time was when I went to World Youth Day in Canada. I loved it and want to go back very soon. I've also been to Mexico, though I hardly consider a few hours much of a trip.

I guess that's really all I can think of right now.. and probably more than she EVER wanted to know! Hah!

Until next time... be holy!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Margaret in Minnesota said...

On the contrary, I now want to adopt you as the little sister I never had!

You lead a blessed life, Laura, if you don't mind me saying.

PS. How late's the pool open? ;)

2/19/2007 04:52:00 PM  
Blogger DP said...

First comment: TWU!? I go to TWU. Different TWU but nonetheless TWU.

Second comment: When you come back to Canada for a visit come to the West Coast this time. You'll love the ocean and the mountains and I'll take you boating and to the beach and canoeing and swimming and hiking and kayaking and camping and. . . well, you get the idea. Your most welcome to come for a visit!

:-)

2/20/2007 10:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you shared more about you! I wish I wasn't in Montana so that we could hang out! --Lil Red

2/20/2007 03:13:00 PM  
Blogger Daughter of St. John said...

Whhaaaa? My goodness, just when I think I know you you surprise me! Hmmm, very interesting!

As always I wish we were closer. Sigh.

Happy Lent!

2/20/2007 10:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home