Friday, January 26, 2007

Creating Catholic Culture with the Kitchen Madonna

They say it started at Blackberry Brambles and I believe them. But where it started and what it started as is quite like the beginning of a game of telephone. A nice idea, to be sure, but not at all what I want to talk about.

I'm being vague, aren't I?

You see, I was over at Sarah's place, having my weekly look-around when I spotted some photos of her kitchen. Intrigued, I read the post. She too was quite vague though she did provide many links. Curious as I was, I followed them all! And this is what I have been able to make out...

Jane over at Blackberry Brambles "proposed sharing pictures of the view from our kitchen sink", an idea which Margaret (aka Minnesota Mom) picked up on. Though I'm not sure how, Suzanne from Blessed Among Men, is also tied to the story through her Kitchen Madonna.

So basically, Jane proposed that we share the view from our kitchen sink and Margaret took it upon herself to keep up with all of the posts. Sarah thought it was a neat idea and submitted her photos while adding a personal note to get a Kitchen Madonna.

Whew.

Anyway, I went ahead and took a few pictures of (our kitchen sink area and) the view from our kitchen window, though I am not a mother or a homemaker. Perhaps standing at the sink is different for me because I do not fill any of these roles which the other posters fill. However, I find that it unites in more than motherhood. It unites in womanhood and in the end, humanity. Each of us stands there at least once a day. We peer out into the world and, while scrubbing dishes or digging dirt from under finger nails, think about the things going on in our life, about how it affects us, about how it effects the ones we love, and I'm sure, at least sometimes, about this big world we live in and what it all means in the scheme of eternity.

It's amazing how personal something like a kitchen sink can be.

In an effort to once again promote Catholic culture here at ...and if not..., I am recommending that everyone take after Sarah and add "put up Kitchen Madonna" to their 'must-do-ASAP' list. The Blessed Mother is such a beautiful example of humility and self-sacrifice, which makes it so fitting to have her there above or by the sink - a place which, at times, can be the biggest test of humility and sacrifice.

And now, without further ado, our humble kitchen sink:


*Note: A picture of my sister will soon be added to the sill as well.
My brother is in a frame to the left and I am in a frame (with three HS friends) on the right).


ETA: First, We have a tiny Kitchen Madonna that I forgot to mention. She's really small (about as tall as one the mini-mug she stands by) and was a gift to me from a good friend. Second, Jane has pointed me to another link (!!) with more pictures (!!). I checked it out and sure enough: Theresa of Grace Like Rain is collecting the pictures in one spot too. Check it out!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Laura!
This is Jane from Blackberry Brambles. It's amazing how this thing spread around, isn't it? Margaret sent me the link to your post and said that you were "very thorough in your research." You were, but I have another link for you. Teresa in MN also attempted to gather all the kitchen sink posts in one place on her blog at
http://gracelikerain.typepad.com/grace_like_rain/2007/01/the_view_from_m.html! So there you go, just to keep you updated! I enjoyed "meeting you" and seeing the view from your sink! God bless, Jane.

1/26/2007 09:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, I love this photo. Between the deep blue view outside the window and the yellow of the walls and the even brighter yellow lemons...

Well. It's just a very very cool photo.

Thanks for participating! I'll add it to my post directly.

1/26/2007 10:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

......don't be afraid.

1/27/2007 04:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE your kitchen sink, and LOVE your post, as always, Laura. Thanks for doing all the research and for giving us all thoughts to chew on. :)

1/29/2007 05:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home