Sunday, October 22, 2006

In case you missed it..

..in the comments box..

Mhari (of ...breath and heartbeat) left me two very enthusiastic messages on one of my countdown posts. I'll post them below. Thanks to Mhari, I feel a bit more prepared for my trip.
In case your attempt to talk to Sr Clare was unsuccessful (mine often are, she's sooo busy!)....

You need a notebook for a diary, I filled around half of one in one visit! I found having a daily missle was useful for personal prayer (or the Magnificat if you get it, lots of the Sisters do) and a bible is useful as they do lectio, but you can borrow one. You get to go to lots of wonderful classes, so perhaps actually two notebooks would be good so you can keep your thoughts and notes from classes seperate... I didn't :)

Other than that you need warm clothes incase you go pray at a clinic, and stuff you don't mind getting dirty as I spent a LOT of my time cleaning, gardening, etc (and still loved it! miracle!) and you really don't need much else. I guess you'll be sleeping in the basement (I remembered the right American word, go me!), but don't worry, it isn't cold and they'll give you loads of blankets. Oh you'll have such a marvellous time. I can't tell you what you'll be doing as I never spent two days in exactly the same way, and I've been 3 times for 10 days to 2 weeks each! I'll pray for you, and please send my love to the Sisters, Mhari from Scotland, I'm gonna write to Sr Clare soon, but want to talk to my SD first.

Oh, and because Sr Clare is really busy you'll never really know what's going on... but no-one really does, you get used to it! They generally tell you 10 minutes before something happens! Don't worry if the whole week (are you going for a week?) is nearly over and you haven't had a chance to speak with her, she'll fit you in before you go! And theres a helpful info sheet by your bed when you arrive to give you hints about what to do (like the Sisters kneel and kiss the floor of the chapel when entering and leaving... how lovely!) so you'll be fine. Sorry to go on so much, I'm so excited for you :)
Well, I've got the Magnificat, journal, and I'm used to not knowing what is going on. Now I just need to concern myself with the keeping warm part! Haha.

My first youth minister taught us about kissing the floor of the chapel. It really is a beautiful practice and I love it very much. I remember this year at the girls retreat when she told all of the girls about it while we were sitting in our make-shift chapel adoring Christ. Almost every single girl did it on their way out and most kept it up throughout the stay. It was great!

Anyway, life is crazy. I'm probably quitting my job soon (like today) so I know it'll only get more busy. (Job searching is stinky. It wasn't that long ago that I was doing it!)

Please keep me in your prayers for a safe trip and fruitful searching in both my vocation discernment and my job hunt.

3 Comments:

Blogger Daughter of St. John said...

Uh oh, job searching again. ICKY.

But I know you'll be happier elsewhere. Perhaps try Starbucks again?!

Hang in there darling! You'll be in my prayers :)

10/23/2006 09:01:00 AM  
Blogger Fr. Matthew Hardesty said...

I thought you'd like to know that I've updated my blog!

10/23/2006 02:58:00 PM  
Blogger Laura H. said...

Thanks, DoSJ!

Thanks for the heads up, Matt!

10/24/2006 10:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home