Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Perpetual Virginity

I was reading about the perpetual virginity of Mary a few moments ago and was presented in my reading a thought that I had never had on my own. I had not given much thought to the idea of Mary's perpetual virginity and how it could be considering that she was MARRIED. It is common knowledge (I think) that a marriage is valid upon consumation. But back in old Judaism, it wasn't necessary that the woman lie with her husband to validate the marriage. It was only required that they have sex when it was requested by the man. So Joseph, her most chaste spouse, never requested that of her! He, recognizing the holiness she possessed and the unique gift that was given her (ya know, being the Mother of Christ), never asked for her to lie with him. He, in his holiness, cherished her beyond measure and did not ask for this from her! (Did I get that right? Nick'll know.)

HOW BEAUTIFUL!

I do feel a little dumb thinking about it NOW but whatever. Better now than never!

3 Comments:

Blogger catholicandgop said...

I've read about it in different ways, but never quite like that. Thanks.

10/18/2006 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger Daughter of St. John said...

Ooooh, this is really interesting. It puts a whole new perspective on things. I never thought about Joseph protecting her perpetual virginity in that particular way. Thanks!

10/21/2006 01:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, you got it right ;)

10/28/2006 04:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home