Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Maymester

Tonight was class number two of a three-week course, referred to as a "Maymester" course (for obvious reasons). My professor for this course is awesome. He's logical, intelligent and humorous. He lectures for three straight hours but it hasn't felt that way. And though it is probably due to experience, he never looks as though he's been speaking for that long. (He doesn't even drink water, something my professors for an hour and a half at a time would do.) He's politically correct and then... not. He always makes sure to let us know that his opinions are just that and that his expressions are not meant to intentionally exclude any student of his classroom. He tells us what he thinks and, regardless of our arguments against him, we can all laugh and enjoy listening because he knows how to present his ideas well. He's engaging. I just love professors who not only know their audience, but play to it.

The Prof is also a strict man. He doesn't take any crap from his students and he's quick to call out a stupid remark. He doesn't call you stupid, but he sure makes the kid look stupid! And really, it's their own fault. If they had practiced some common sense, they wouldn't have raised their hand to ask the question in the first place. I'm not condoning the intentional embarrassment of a student (or anyone, for that matter) when not absolutely necessary and constructive, but I am saying that he's not being a complete jerk. He expects a lot from his students, as he should. Somehow, even calling people out, no one gets upset. Both classes have started out with at least three ridiculous questions followed by his witty and cutting remarks... which inevitably get a roar of laughter from the class.

Anyway, the whole point of writing any of this was to say that I love him not only for his witty and winning remarks, thoughts, and opinions, but for his commitment to talk about God in the classroom. Each night he has either named God specifically or referred to him (undoubtedly) at least six times. That's twice an hour. And tonight, he referred to "the bishop of Rome, otherwise known as the Pope".

Now, I'm not a huge fan of people who get all stupid (read: childishly giddy and ridiculous) whenever something Catholic is mentioned or referenced, but I was glad to know that he was not only well-informed, but willing to share his knowledge unreservedly with his college students. Many professors will avoid doing such (or will find a creative way of saying things without actually saying things) for fear of rustling feathers. Not this guy. He doesn't care. And I love it.

Yes, Maymester (as of tonight, day two) is going well. I'm still tired and feeling less than chipper but I trust things will *feel* better when the time is right. God's will be done.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I found my way here by following your name on your post at Rees. I hope that was okay. It's so wonderful to see a young women with values and who is seeking the Lord. Yes, I know about those rough times when you know you should appreciate all you have, and you have plenty, but for some reason you're just having a rough time. I'm not Catholic, but a Christian, and will say a prayer for you. This too will pass. I'm a million years older than you (okay, maybe not a million but some days it feels like it) and I've gone through a lot in life and know and understand the power of prayer. I've met virtual strangers online (last fall was very rough for me with several family deaths and other issues) and these women did and still do keep me in their prayers. I was so blessed to accidentally find them online (I still don't remember how). So, I will pay that forward and keep you in mine! :-) God bless you.

http://deepthoughtsfuzzymemories.blogspot.com/


PS Here is a post I wrote about my depression called "wrestling with jello".
http://deepthoughtsfuzzymemories.blogspot.com/2006/09/wrestling-with-jello.html

5/15/2008 01:40:00 AM  
Blogger Laura H. said...

i always appreciate a prayer, tk! thank you!!

5/15/2008 08:15:00 AM  
Blogger rita said...

Hi Laura! I am praying for you.
Your class sounds really great and challenging.
God bless!!

5/17/2008 10:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home