Saturday, December 30, 2006

Please pray: No job, no insurance, no family, no place to go...

Yes, this describes a dear friend of mine. She has struggled with an addiction to prescription pain meds for some time. She is nine months clean and sober but Lord knows it has been a rough time getting to this point. And things seem to be getting worse.

When she first admitted her problem and sought help, she checked herself into an adult rehab program. Her family was already being affected but it was more so while she was gone since this left her husband responsible for everything around the house and with their son. As could be expected, it also created a bit of tension at work.

My dear friend also suffers from depression and is on meds for that. Given her history, her doctor thought it would be wise to be readmitted to the hospital as he adjusted her medication levels. He wanted her to be monitored for any changes during this time.

When she told her husband, he told her he wanted a divorce.

On top of this, she had to deal with telling work that she would again be admitted to the hospital. Her boss was suspicious and my friend knew that she might be fired. But she also knew that she needed to take care of herself. So she entered the hospital.

The next day her husband showed up with a letter from her work saying that she had been laid off. Included with this letter was her last check. In the same visit, her husband informed her that he had filed for divorce.

Needless to say, she was more than devastated.

She is now without a job, without insurance to pay for her medication, without a husband, and with no place to go...

Thankfully she is able to live at home for now - until she is ready to move out. As I'm sure you can imagine, this isn't a comfortable situation. (I can only imagine the levels of anxiety that plague that place.)

Please, if you can, offer up some prayers for my friend. She is in need. She is one of the most faithful, strong, vibrant Catholics I know. She is so in love with our Lord and wishes to do what is good and pleasing in His sight. She has not lost her faith through this. If anything, I think she has become more grounded in it. Even in the midst of all that is happening, she can smile and be proud of her nine month achievement. I am very proud of her and support her in all things. I ask that you too support her with prayer. I pray that if ever I am faced with such challenges, I might handle them with as much grace as she has.

Thank you in advance. Know of the deep appreciation for all that you can offer..

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, what an awful trial for your friend to go through. I pray on this feast of the Holy Family that healing will take place for her family, and that she will once again be able to have a home, a job, and all that she needs. May God give her the strength each day to continue her recovery.

12/31/2006 07:07:00 AM  
Blogger Julie D. said...

How terrible ... I will be praying for her and for her husband, that he may have a softened heart.

12/31/2006 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger owenswain said...

Laura, I will remember your friend. I will reflect on how Jesus stood with us during this past year and a half and ask for his mercy to flow upon your friend. I will pray for you also as you may be asked to be a special support during this time.

12/31/2006 01:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, Your friend's pain really touched me. I will be praying for her. She is lucky to have a friend like you and a God who WILL see her through her situation. Keep us updated. I am a survivor of depression and she will be too.

1/03/2007 08:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home