Thursday, October 26, 2006

Ryan Meyers: Invisible People

Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.' Then the righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?' And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.' Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.' Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?' He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.' And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
Matthew 25:34-36

A while back I was listening to the phatmass radio and stumbled across a song that spoke to me about invisible people. It wasn't anything futuristic or fantasy-like. No, it spoke of the realities we face today. Below I have posted the lyrics to the song, written and recorded by Ryan Meyers Band, which continues to speak to my heart. It speaks of a poor man, a woman who bares her skin for five dollar bills, and an unborn baby. It speaks of the poor, forgotten and outcast of our society. Through Ryan the 'least of these' beg the question: "Could we really be the face of God if we are invisible?"
I’m an invisible man
You look right through me so you won’t feel the pain
Of knowing that the way you live determines where I stand
In my invisible world
You give me nickles, but you won’t shake my hand
And I can’t believe in the “God” you claim to serve
I’m an invisible man

I’m an invisible girl
Men, you smile at me with five-dollar bills
Though you see my skin on Tuesdays, boys, you’ve never seen my eyes
In my invisible dreams
I ride the carriages of princes and queens
But in the morning when I wake I want to put myself to sleep

We are the least of these
You look through us every day
We are the least of these
We beg for your change
We starve for your love
We aren’t invisible
But we are invisible

I’m an invisible child
My mother says I’m just a careless mistake
But I didn’t really accidentally come
In my invisible world
I have a hearbeat ,but I don’t have a voice
And you think if you can’t hear me scream that I feel no pain

We are the least of these
You look through us every day
We are the least of these
We beg for a change
We starve for your love
We aren’t invisible
But we are invisible

Could we really be the face of God?
Could we really be the face of God if we are invisible?
Every day I am convicted in my faith by those society often overlooks. I see and feel nearly every day the desire God has placed in my heart to serve the least of His children. As I drive through Dallas on my way to do different things, I see out of the corner of my eye a man lying on a bench at a school asleep, his meager belongings gathered close by his side. I see a woman walking down the sidewalk, scantily dressed and waiting for her next customer. I see young and old alike walking into 'clubs' with enticing, glamourized names. I see white-washed buildings of death - innocent lives to be taken over the couse of the day inside. My heart sinks as I face the realities of the world I live in. But I know that one day my time will come and I will use my own two hands to change the face of the world, one life at a time. I am here to love each of them as Jesus does, to serve them as He would.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie D. said...

The "invisible man" relates well to the point that Fr. L. made when looking at next Sunday's Gospel reading. The crowd (symbolizing the world) first tells Bartameus to shut up; they want to ignore him. Then, when he shows he alone has inner sight to recognize Jesus by using the messianic greeting "Son of David" and yells it loud enough so that Jesus can hear him ... Jesus turns to him and the crowd instantly is encouraging the man to stand up and go to him. The man has become important and so they pay attention to him.

Layers upon layers are there to consider as we think about the fact that this crowd (the world) also will be shouting Hosannah soon and then "crucify him" not too long after that. While it says that Bartimaeus, after Jesus told him to go, followed Jesus on "the way."

10/26/2006 12:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home