Thursday, August 31, 2006

Obese? Infertile? Too bad...

In Britain Thursday, most everybody will probably be talking about one group's call for a ban there on fertility treatments for obese women.

The British Fertility Society wants only women with a body mass index of 35 or less to qualify for fertility treatments.

Health officials say obese women are less likely to get pregnant and more likely to encounter health problems.

The Society also recommended that smokers be barred from receiving fertility treatment.

Is it just me or is this a little... wrong? God said, "Go forth and multiply" ... but I think I missed the part when He said, "unless you're overweight."

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary Martha said...

I imagine that the fertility treatments likely include lots of things that as a Catholic I would oppose. However, this still is disturbing.

This is what happens when the secular government controls medicine. They get to choose who gets treatment, and who gets to reproduce.

After deciding who is worthy of reproduction I wonder if they will decide who is worthy of other medical care.

It makes my skin crawl to think of it.

8/31/2006 03:43:00 PM  
Blogger Mhari said...

Interestingly there hasn't been much talk about this in the UK. Infertility treatment in the UK is basically IVF, so I guess any limitation should be welcomed. However (as a nurse) I know that people are occasionally refused treatment on grounds of obesity because it's a major health risk, they can then be given help to lose weight and improve their health. It's an ethical debate we've discussed in our training, and perhaps I'm brainwashed by the system, but it makes sense to me.

9/09/2006 05:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home