Friday, July 14, 2006

Feast of Blessed Kateri



Today is the feast of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha. I first learned about Kateri in middle school at a youth night close to All Saints Day. We were divided into groups of about four and each group was given a pumkin, saint card, and craft materials. The challenge was to make your pumkin look like your saint. I can't remember if we had to guess the saints but if we did I'm sure no one guessed ours. (We had Blessed Kateri.) We also had to tell everyone a little bit about our saint. At the time, I just thought it was cool that she was the first person born in North America to be beatified. Later, I respected her more and more for her life and her struggle against her culture and everything she knew. I admit though that I probably wouldn't have given her much thought if I hadn't had the honor of visiting the shrine for her in Canada (near Montreal). During the pilgrimage to World Youth Day 2002 in Toronto, we stayed in Montreal for a few days. During that time we visited many places, one place of course being the shrine. We were told all about her life and her struggles. They danced for us, let us have a little fun (canoeing races), and then showed us the CHURCH on the reservation. Yes, a church. It was awesome. I loved that trip so much and I have kept her prayer card on my little bulletin board ever since. Blessed Kateri is, for lack of a better word, cool.

+
Lord God, you called the virgin, Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, to shine among the native American people as an example of innocence of life. Through her intercession, may all peoples of every tribe, tongue, and nation, having been gathered into your Church, proclaim your greatness in one song of praise. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
Amen.

+Blessed Kateri, pray for us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home