Monday, October 02, 2006

...for the Mighty God has done great things for me...

At a meeting earlier today (or yesterday for those of you who sleep at night - hah) I was presented with the opportunity to reflect on the past couple of weeks and pray in thanksgiving for the blessings I have received. As I sat there with the group in silence, reflecting and choosing which prayers of thanksgiving I would vocalize, I realized how abundantly I have been blessed in the past month or so.

Often times I will thank God for a blessing as soon as I recognize it but fail to go back two weeks later and thank Him again. This habit does not allow for me to truly recognize all of the good that happens in my life. (I am glad that I will have this group now to help me remember to do this!)

In the past month I have made new friends and aquaintances (with the potential for friendship), gotten reaquainted with those I had not spoken with in what seemed like ages, and really have just met a lot of really great people. The majority of them are from my parish and I am so glad. I have been waiting for so long to meet people and to know my community. I always felt like I was stuck in a really weird age and didn't have very many places to go. The youth group wasn't working for me anymore (as a volunteer) and I was too young for the adult stuff. Young people between the ages of 18 and 21 in my parish are just plain out of luck (usually) when it comes to activities. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. I would assume the majority of them go off to college and have college things to do. But I digress...

I've started attending a book club comprised of some really awesome Catholic women. They are of varying ages and backgrounds but each of them is such a great example and exactly the type of woman I need and want in my life. I have enjoyed (in the two meetings I have attended) listening to them and taking in the things they had to say. I look up to them and value very much the time I get to spend with them. I love our discussions, about the book or otherwise. I'm sure there are many more women that I have not yet met but even the few that I have have really made an impression on me. I am so thankful to have that once a month - time to be with other Catholic women who think the way I do and appreciate things that I appreciate.

Even more recently I've started work with a local apostolate. (So recent that it's not even been a day since I've 'joined'!) I already knew them all (all but one, actually) but it was nice to meet with them to work in this way. I love the mission of the group and what they do for our community (and surrounding communities) and I am thankful to have something to which I can commit my time and energy. I have been searching for some time for something exactly like this and it landed in my lap at just the right time.

These two things together have been a great blessing to me. Individually they are great but together they are better. I really feel a sense of belonging right now and it's something I have missed. I love my Church and I know that I do belong to a HUGE community but it's also nice to have the sort of fellowship I have now found with my own parish community. Often I would visit my friends' church and wish that I could have that back home. Now I do!

I pray in thanksgiving for the many blessings in my life, but I pray especially in thanksgiving for my friends at my parish, new and old. Praised be Jesus Christ, now and forever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home