Monday, July 17, 2006

Dear Catholic Priests, ... and all religious for that matter!

I was waving my arms in the air wanting to shout "I agree" reading through the post 'Dear Catholic Priests' at Back Home to Rome (thankfully linked to by Happy Catholic -- what would we do without her 'Blogging Around'?). I thought it might be a little much though. I was already feeling pretty silly with my waving arms.

Twice now I have heard this story:
Once there was a young nun in plain clothes walking from someplace, not exactly near her convent. She was young and attractive with bright eyes and a sweet smile. As she was walking she could feel something was wrong. She glanced around, side to side. She saw nothing. She looked behind her. There she saw a man walking. It was soon obvious that he was not only walking, but walking after her. He was most certainly in pursuit. She picked up her pace and he did as well. Before she knew it she was jogging and then running. To her relief, she soon spotted a police officer. She ran right to him and said, "Officer, I am a nun and there is a man following me. I do not know him." He instructed her to get in the squad car. She did. He asked her how to get to her convent and chatted with her, calming her some, as he drove her home. When they pulled up the officer stepped around the car to let the sister out. Before letting her go he said to her, "Sister, how did you know I was a police officer?" She replied, "I saw your uniform." He smiled, nodded, and said, "Exactly. Now the more important question: how did I know you were a sister?"
I cannot even say how many ways the habit, cassock, or collar are beneficial. There are just too many! So many times I have heard stories about what the 'uniform' does for people. Certainly religious in harsh areas are somehow protected by their dress. They are known and revered as men and women of the Lord. Even non-Catholics know that they can approach and ask anything. They ask for prayers or advice. Oh... how long it would take me to count and describe the examples.

How I hope and pray every day that the return of cassocks and collars and habits will be soon and permanent!

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

I think a habit is a must. When I am a priest, it will be nearly impossible to see me without a cassock. I plan on wearing one no matter how hot/cold it is. Priests should look like priests. Nuns should look like nuns.

7/17/2006 10:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!!!!

7/22/2006 08:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home