Monday, February 09, 2009

Nutella: What's the big deal?



I feel I might be flogged (figuratively) by the blogging community - perhaps the community at large - for expressing my passiveness on the subject of Nutella.

When I first heard about the stuff, I had high hopes. Everyone I knew absolutely loved the stuff. In fact, for a while, it was all I heard about. Nutella, nutella, nutella.

Friends were posting pictures of Nutella-covered mouths, faces, and hands.

I heard of the wonders of Nutella on just about everything... and the sensory overload of Nutella by itself.

"That's it," I thought. "I must get some Nutella."

So after a long trip to the grocery store (I have a really hard time asking for help... and I had a hard time finding the stuff...), I returned home with my jar of Nutella. I quickly derobed and got into my best Nutella-eating outfit. I couldn't wait to have my first Nutella experience.

Removing the lid and peeling back the seal, I dove in. "Oh my goodness," I thought to myself. "I am SO excited. This is going to be great! Oh, Nutella, my love! We meet at last!"

And then the first taste. And disappointment. And semi-disgust.

What the hell were people thinking? It wasn't even that GOOD. It was alright. But it wasn't great. Who the heck started this craze?

And that's how I've felt about Nutella ever since. I tried it once and put the jar in the pantry. For all I know, it may still be in the pantry. I will likely never buy Nutella again and I will certainly never subject my kids to it.

By the way, I think it's absolutely criminal that the makers of Nutella suggest slabbing the stuff onto a croissant. A croissant, people!! Croissants are a delicacy that should not be tinkered with. Especially if we're talking about Nutella. Good grief.

15 Comments:

Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

Ah, but have you tried it on pizza?

:-)

2/11/2009 03:40:00 PM  
Blogger Laura H. said...

you're my first blog commenter to make me gag. congratulations on this insignificant and slightly frustrating achievement.

2/11/2009 03:42:00 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

I can tell you that others share your distaste for Nutella(not me) and that the Nutella you buy in Italy tastes better than the Nutella you buy here in the US

2/11/2009 08:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter loves nutella on tortillas. Blech. I think nutella is nasty. Chocolate gone really, really wrong.

Even thinking about it makes me spit the memory of the taste out of my mouth.

2/12/2009 08:53:00 AM  
Blogger Laura H. said...

deanna - if ever i end up in italy, i *might* try it. but unless it's significantly better, i should doubt i'll like it.

amen, KMS! amen!!

2/12/2009 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger miss mod mom said...

i havent had nutella.... thanks for letting me know i'm not missing out....

... i do think all food just tastes better in italy, so maybe its worth a shot there....

2/12/2009 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger Laura H. said...

someone should fly me to italy to see if i like it in italy... haha!

2/12/2009 02:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to find Nutella very delicious. Hazelnuts are a very underrated food. Nutella is very rich, so small doses on special occasions do it the most justice. Sorry your were disappointed. That said, people should always try new kinds of food--there's a wealth of tastes out there to be enjoyed.

2/12/2009 04:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good. More Nutella for the rest of us. :)

2/12/2009 05:52:00 PM  
Blogger A Secular Franciscan said...

I made you gag? Sniff.

Suddenly I reminded of the reactions I used to get before I grew my beard ...

2/12/2009 08:50:00 PM  
Blogger Laura H. said...

there, there. here... how about some nutella to cheer you up?

*cackles* i crack myself up.

2/13/2009 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Christine said...

Laura - a running Catholic! Yay! Me too!

2/17/2009 07:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand you completely. I've seen girls walk around carrying it in jars o.O

5/13/2011 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger Laura H. said...

Yeeeaaahhhh... that's weird. ;)

7/05/2011 11:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nutella is nasty end of it I've only had it 3 times in my life first time was "oh God this is amazing!" Second time was "meh not too good". 3rd time made me gag and no it wasn't expired its just flat out nasty I too have a hating my pantry that's never going to get eaten cause of how nasty it is. People with obsessions like this are just sad

8/03/2012 08:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home