Sunday, March 25, 2007

San Mateo

I'm sorry I haven't been around. I know last time I mentioned some soul searching and spring cleaning. Noticing yesterday that I had been away for almost a week, I felt as though I should write something. But there was nothing to say. So I said nothing. But today, today there is something to say. And so I will say it.

Yesterday I had the privilege to help out with the San Mateo youth retreat in Fort Worth. They asked for some Remnant apostolate members to come out and Matt sent Debbie and I. What a day!

Certainly I enjoyed all of my time there (minus, of course, the multiple calls from work) but the part that I think I will remember for a very long time was during my talk. I was scheduled to do a thirty-minute talk on Divine Mercy -- the devotion, the chaplet, the promises. I had everything prepared and knew exactly what I was going to say. I had my papers together to help me if I got too nervous and I was pumped up about sharing this devotion, my personal favorite, with these awesome young adults. Having lead a break-out session on forgiveness earlier in the day, I knew they were going to love it if only they would give it a chance.

When it came time to give my talk, we were running about twenty minutes behind schedule. I talked to the retreat master and we both agreed that we wanted to start the chaplet as close to three as possible. So, I cut a lot of what I had planned and pretty much just said what the Spirit compelled me to say. And what the Spirit compelled me to say caught me SO off-guard.

I had read through all of this material at least 8 times, reminding myself not to forget certain points. But it was when I started reading to them about the promises Jesus made to St. Faustina about those who prayed this chaplet that I literally felt my whole body quiver in awe. I started to tear up but choked it back. I had to lead the chaplet in a few minutes!

It struck me as I read to them that I was truly doing God's work on earth. I was bringing them to Christ and setting them there, at least for a few minutes. I set them before Him and I begged them to see Him in all of His merciful glory. And I think they did. (Praise God.)

Here is what I read to them:

"Say unceasingly this chaplet that I have taught you. Anyone who says it will receive great Mercy at the hour of death. Priests will recommend it to sinners as the last hope. Even the most hardened sinner, if he recites this Chaplet even once, will receive grace from My Infinite Mercy. I want the whole world to know My Infinite Mercy. I want to give unimaginable graces to those who trust in My Mercy...."

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Daughter of St. John said...

Yes my dear little one YOU truly are an instrument of God. It is a humbling and awesome thought. Don't ever let the awesomeness of the responsibility keep you from doing His work though. Instead hand it over to Him and let the Spirit continue to lead you!

You are doing His work. Don't ever stop.

3/25/2007 08:40:00 PM  
Blogger owenswain said...

It is so often the way, when we share with others then is the time faith is stirred up in us as well and the gifts of the Spirit are fanned by the flame.

::thrive!
Owen
luminousmiseries.ca
onionboy.ca

3/25/2007 08:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm... powerful stuff.
Powerful promises.

I am very happy that St. Faustina is the patron of one of my daughters.

3/26/2007 08:58:00 PM  
Blogger ukok said...

The way of the Spirit is always the way to go...we can practice, rehearse, bullet point our notes, but I can't count the times I've given a talk or led RCIA and all of what I have prepared has gone out the window and the Holy Spirit has directed my vocal chords instead!

3/27/2007 03:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home