Thursday, December 07, 2006

A little of this, a little of that.. and the Memorial of Saint Ambrose

I apologize for a lack of real posting. These past few weeks have been busy. My work schedule has now changed and the pace is a lot different - a lot faster! So when I retire in the evenings I am much more worn out. I do think I'll adjust soon but how soon? Your guess is as good as mine.

The 7th Annual Lock-In for Life is on Friday in North Richland Hills. It's hosted by Remnant Catholic Apostolate (of which I am now a member) and attended by many parishes throughout the dioceses. It will be a holy, fun-filled event and I would ask for your prayers for it. Please pray that the youth are always bold in defending a culture of life and that everyone is safe during the event.

We will have adoration all night and I hope to catch a few hours in there. If you have any intentions you would like me to bring before Christ during that time, feel free to leave a comment or email me.

Today is the memorial of Saint Ambrose, bishop and doctor! I'm a big fan of Saint Ambrose.

As I, once again, have little time, here are a few things from Catholic Culture:
St. Ambrose (340-397) was born at Treves in Gaul, a territory which embraced modern France, Britain, Spain, and part of Africa. He studied in Rome and later became governor of Liguria and Aemelia with residence at Milan. While supervising the election of a new bishop of Milan in 374, he himself was suddenly acclaimed the bishop. He was only a catechumen at the time. He was ordained a priest and consecrated a bishop on Dec. 7. He wrote much on the Scriptures and Fathers, preached a homily every Sunday, resisted the interference of the secular powers with the rights of the Church, opposed the heretics, and was instrumental in bringing about the conversion of St. Augustine. He composed many hymns, promoted sacred chant, and took a great interest in the Liturgy.
Learn more about Saint Ambrose, bishop and doctor, at Catholic Culture!

Lord, you made St. Ambrose an outstanding teacher of the Catholic faith and gave him the courage of an apostle. Raise up in your Church more leaders after your own heart, to guide us with courage and wisdom. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Recipes to try today:
Genoise Book Cake
Chiffon Pie
Insalata Ambrosiana
Ciastka Miodowe (Honey Cakes)
Honey Cake
Milk and Honey Cookies
Ambrosia Salad
Costoletta alla Milanese (Veal Chop Milanese)

Check out directions on celebrating the "Honey-Tongued Doctor" here!

St. Ambrose, bishop and doctor, pray for us! All you holy angels and saints, pray for us!

p.s. If anyone here attends my parish and is, as I was, unaware of the the Mass times for Friday (a holy day of obligation), you might want to check those out sometime before 6:30 or so today! We're having an anticipatory Mass tonight becaaauuusee... we only have the 8 am and noon Mass tomorrow. :( Those of us who work during the morning/day won't be able to make it. (Now I understand, Julie. Now I understand. Boo.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home