Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Fr. Korapi Explains It All

I recently listend to one of Father Korapi's amazing talks. I only heard about a fourth of it, however, in the few hours I listened I laughed off probably 20 pounds. Father Korapi explained prayer and our faith and talked about his conversion. Two things he said stick out in my mind each time I think about him and they will be my thoughts which I put out there for today.

The first has a small story to go along with it. Father said that he gave a talk once to a large crowd when he was still pretty young that he would never forget. He said that an older lady came to him afterward, obviously less than pleased with this young priest, and I believe told him that she did not believe in purgatory. He said very frankly, "Well, I wouldn't boast about what makes you a heretic."

The other thought for today was a quote by former Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, which Father Korapi used in his talk. It is this: "God did not intend for eternal Truth to be determined by a democratic vote."

Think about it. Use it. ENJOY IT.

3 Comments:

Blogger Angela Louise said...

Fr. Corapi is so witty and down to earth! I would LOVE to have him give the Cardinal Bernadin Lecture here at my college!

3/07/2006 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Laura H. said...

Alfred, my apologies in taking so long to get back to you. I've asked a friend (http://phatcatholic.blogspot.com) about this and this was his response:

Apostolic Exhortation of His Holiness Pope Paul VI, Marialis Cultus (For the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary), no. 48:

... In fact, meditation on the mysteries of the Rosary, by familiarizing the hearts and minds of the faithful with the mysteries of Christ, can be an excellent preparation for the creation of those same mysteries in the liturgical action and an also become a continuing echo thereof. However, it is a mistake to recite the Rosary during the celebration of the liturgy, though unfortunately this practice still persists here and there.

The reason that praying the rosary during Mass is discouraged is because it prevents a person from actively participating in the Mass. "Active participation" is pretty much the main theme of Sacrosanctum Concilium, and is a very important concept when considering the role of the laity in the Mass. "Mother Church earnestly desires that all the faithful should be led to that fully conscious, and active participation in liturgical celebrations which is demanded by the very nature of the liturgy" (SC, no. 14, cf. 11, 19, 21, 27, 30, 41, 50, 79, 113, 114, 121, 124).

The rosary requires concentration ... concentration that you would have to take away from the liturgy in order to pray the rosary at that time. I think it's perfectly acceptable, and even laudable, to pray the rosary as preparation for the Mass. But, I wouldn't suggest praying it during the Mass.

3/26/2009 08:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more I hear Fr Korapi's talks themore I am convinced of God's powerful protection for us in these troubled times. He stands out as a bright light in such confusing darkness.
Regards
Vincent

1/16/2010 08:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home