Thursday, February 16, 2006

Head of Household

No, I am not referring to the coveted position on the TV series "Big Brother" though I do admit that was the thought I was hoping to stir in my readers. I am referring, rather, to the head of a real household -- consisting of a man, woman, and their children. My question today refers back to my post from yesterday. I know it was a bit unfulfilling and possibly confusing as there was no real conclusion. I guess that would be because we (shortnun and I) have not yet reached one. Taking that as an opportunity to poll my visitors, as few as they may be, I will go ahead and propose a few questions.
  • Are the sexes complementary or equal or both?
  • Can a household function properly with a woman as the head?
    • Note: this is assuming there is a mother and father
  • Should submission still play a role in familial relationships?
I have my own opinions about how to answer those questions but I am interested in the views of my readers. I will post in a few days how I feel about it all and if shortnun and I ever come to a conclusion, I will post that as well.

I leave you with this:
Ephesians 5:21-33
Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is head of his wife just as Christ is head of the church, he himself the savior of the body. As the church is subordinate to Christ, so wives should be subordinate to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her to sanctify her, cleansing her by the bath of water with the word, that he might present to himself the church in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. So (also) husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one hates his own flesh but rather nourishes and cherishes it, even as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. "For this reason a man shall leave (his) father and (his) mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." This is a great mystery, but I speak in reference to Christ and the church. In any case, each one of you should love his wife as himself, and the wife should respect her husband.

3 Comments:

Blogger Daughter of St. John said...

LOL, the husband may be the head, but the wife is the neck! Just like the Church is the Body of Christ, Christ is the head of the Church, but Mary is the neck! (thanks to Fr. Antoine Thomas of the Community of St. John for that insight at breakfast this morning!)

2/17/2006 10:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ComplEmentary, not complImentary.

2/20/2006 09:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say that the sexes are most definatly equal in God's eyes it's just we all have different roles this being said I belive that yes The husband should be the head of the household if there is one and that the wife should sumit and respect her husband (this however does not in any way mean that he can make every decsion for her and that what she thinks doesn't matter) I also belive that if the husband is going against god it is then the woman's place to do what god wants and not what her husband wants.

2/21/2006 11:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home