Sunday, April 09, 2006

Love of Our Church

Palm Sunday is one of my favorite Masses of the year. So many people dread going because of the attendance and the length of the Mass. I absolutely love both of those things. My heart beats a little faster every time I know we'll have more people than usual joining us for the morning. Sharing Christ in the Eucharist with all our brothers and sisters is a wonderful thing and it makes me truly happy. I also love all of the little things that go on during Palm Sunday Mass. From the loft where I sit I can see everything going on in the church. I get to see the view from above as everyone turns to face the center of the church and I get to watch excitedly as the procession moves through the whole of the building. I absolutely love the entrance procession at every Mass, but especially this one. I love watching the priest and deacon as they make their way around the altar, come up together, and together bow to kiss the altar. I love the organ at my church as it blasts away while they quietly and respectfully make their way to the seats. I love watching the altar boys or girls (I know, I know) walk down the aisles behind the priest (or in front for the other days) and the crucifix as it makes its way through all the people. I love knowing that Jesus is truly there with us. I am admittedly a lover of glitz and glam and I'm not ashamed of it. God deserves every bit of that beautiful Mass and more! I could not be more satisfied with Mass today and I am very grateful for my church.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

I know exactly what you mean... except for the altar girls... those are an un-needed distraction and a waste of space.

I look forward to the mass on good friday at 3pm. When the Priest lays prostrate on the ground in front of the altar. That is just beautiful!

I hope you have a wonderful Easter!

4/11/2006 08:54:00 PM  
Blogger Daughter of St. John said...

I am not a Palm Sunday fan. Though I do relish Good Friday services. The sight of my brothers prostrating themselves is humbling. The opportunity to follow them doing a mini-prostration is breathtaking.

4/12/2006 01:08:00 PM  
Blogger Laura H. said...

Prostration seems to really touch a lot of people and I have to agree that Good Friday is definitely one of my favorites. The prostration is beautiful every time I see it. My heart is giddy in those moments.

Thanks for the comments, yall!

4/12/2006 01:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home